Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Who Say I Don't Rep, I am Naija All Day"

Naija (adj) slang: of or from Nigeria, a person from Nigeria.

For a while now I have felt an inexplicable connection to Nigeria. I've been drawn to Nigeria by means of food, music, general culture, and, especially people. Some of my best friends are of Nigerian heritage (check out Fabulous Brown Girl and The Manifesto) and one of my best friends in Senegal, Gerald, is from Nigeria.

A few weeks ago Gerald made me an honorary Nigerian for all the reasons stated above but more recently an event took place that caused him to erase the honorary qualifier.


We were having lunch at a Nigerian restaurant here in Dakar, as we often do because I love Naija food, when another patron entered. He greeted everyone then asked me a question in Nigerian Pidgin. When I understood his query and responded Gerald and another friend, Harrison, were both shocked. Although I answered in English and not in Pidgin, they were surprised that I was able to comprehend and participate in the conversation.

In response to this Gerald said that I must have Nigerian ancestry. He stated that Nigeria lives in me, although I don't have a direct bloodline that can be traced. That really meant a lot.

Don't take this wrong. I'm not claiming to be Nigerian but, as an African American with a lost history and heritage, I hold that validation in high esteem and am truly appreciative of it.

"Who say I don't rep, I am Naija all day" - Wale



3 comments:

  1. We have to do something about that lost ancestry - hopefully while you are still on the continent.

    Great post. Glad to hear that you are picking up the language as well as the culture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great post! Glad to hear that you feel a connection. I hope to one day travel and find a similar connection. I don't think folks understand what it's like to wonder where your ancestry traces back to.

    Again, great post!

    *Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I am just now seeing this post put I love it!!! It means so much to me that you feel a connection to my homeland and a place that means so much to me! WE HAVE TO GO ONE DAY (officially on my bucket list). Also "U na hear Pidgin!!!" what!! lol, I grew up with pidgin as many of us Nigerian American kids have so it is kind of our second language and it brings us together since many of us don't really speak the native, traditional language too well.

    Imma put you on to a song you have to know and learn if you are going to be an honorary Naija man. Its mainly in pidgin and is widely popular all over Africa. Its called Sweet Mother and its my absolute favorite African song. Its a song dedicated to mothers.. kind of like Tupac's Dear Mama

    Check it out --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mecNrIaWOA

    ReplyDelete