Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Got 'Til It's Gone"

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

Being here in Dakar, Senegal has truly opened my eyes to the blessings that I took for granted back at home in the United States. I've adapted to living in a developing nation but this experience has given me a new appreciation for many of the things that I used to take for granted.

1.) Connectivity:

Thankfully, my house here is equipped with wireless internet yet it still doesn't compare to the ease of communication I had before. The first few weeks I was here I nearly felt naked without my phone. The access to the web, social media, news and people that was once in the palms of my hands was now only available inside my home while posted in front of a stationary screen. Of course, that was all dependent on the fickle electricity, which brings me to my second point.

2.) Electricity:

Temperatures reaching beyond 100 degrees, insane humidity, and your only relief is from a temperamental oscillating fan – when the power is on that is. That statement sums up my first month in Dakar. I arrived in the rainy season which meant boiling temps, humidity like I had never experienced and torrential downpours that knocked the power grid offline multiple times a day.

It came to a point where I would make "to do" lists of tasks to accomplish when the power came back on. Every blog post, AIM conversation, or Skype session began with a prayer that the electricity would hold out until its conclusion.

Electricity, although important, is not essential and its scarcity doesn't carry the same weight as the global water crisis.

3.) Water:

Fortunately, having clean drinking water has not been an issue for me, however, it certainly is for millions, if not billions, around the world. Recently, a team of artists, activists, and experts climbed Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for the issue. The Summit on The Summit, headed by singer/songwriter/producer Kenna, sought not only to raise funds but to raise awareness. Names like Lupe Fiasco, Jessica Biel, Santigold, and Elizabeth Gore participated in the climb.

In my case the necessities of water were taken care of but the luxuries – not so much. By luxury I'm referring to hot water. Bathing in cold water day in and day out has really given me a new appreciation for even luke warm showers. Dare I admit to having dreams of warm cascading waters.

4.) Independence:

Getting plopped down in a new city, in a new country, in a new continent, where most everyone speaks a different language made me more dependent on others than I have been in years. It was a huge adjustment to have to rely on others for food, transportation, and even to communicate with people. All of a sudden I had to depend on other people for most of the things I needed and wanted for everyday life.

I think the biggest change was transportation. Going from having a car and access to Washington, D.C.'s Metro (which I will argue is the best mass transit system in the U.S.) to Dakar where my options are overcrowded and unreliable buses, expensive taxis, and the good ol' left-right-left.

However, what I miss the most are the people.

5.) People:

Sure the internet can connect me to friends and family by means of AIM, Gchat Facebook, Twitter, Skype, and email but it just doesn't compare to the ease of staying in contact with people that I had at home. Basically, my connection to people at home is largely dependent on me sitting in front of the computer whereas before I could fully experience life without sacrificing my connection to my network.

More importantly is the lack of face-to-face interaction. I have found a few friends here who have been really great but they don't compare to the bonds that have been years in the making – some that have been cultivated my entire life.

Please don't take this as a list of complaints rather it's a reminder of the blessings for which I should be grateful. When I return to the States I hope to be able to look back at this in order to greater appreciate these things, to put my life in perspective.

"Joni Mitchell never lies, lies, lies ..."


This post was inspired by Charlotte Young's post "ThInGs I No LoNgEr TaKe FOr GrAntEd."

1 comment:

  1. Soooo true. You appreciate the little things a whole lot more when you're away.



    ^^^ did you know that video was depicting South Africa during apartheid? Its one of my ALL TIME favs from her.

    ReplyDelete