Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Shades

Colorism is still alive in well in today's society. I'm just not referring to the remnants of America's "brown paper bag test" tradition but its damaging effects across the African Diaspora. Perhaps the most depressing aspect of this outlet of self-hatred is something that I have witnessed firsthand while here in Senegal–skin bleaching.
Now, I had heard of it before. thanks to a few scattered alternative news pieces here and a youtube documentary or two there. Yet, never had I seen the tragic practice with my own eyes until I arrived here. The people here have been so sold on a Eurocentric image of beauty that they opt to put themselves through chemical bleaching just to obtain a paler complexion. I've heard stories of women taken ill from the treatments and I have even seen the welts, bruises, and burns on women's skin from the bleaching process. In the homestay of one of the other SABS fellows a domestic was terminated because she continued to bleach her skin against the wishes of the homeowner.

Of course, I understand from where this complexion complex comes but it's still disheartening to see it live and in color – or lack thereof. Recent photos of All-Star baseball player, Sammy Sosa, have brought this issue into the open once more.



Sosa claims that he suffers from vitiligo and that the disease is the sole cause for his rapid melanin decrease. ::: Strong side-eye ::: I'm no dermatologist but I know plenty of people who have vitiligo and I have never seen it act so quickly and so evenly. A very close friend of mine, who also has vitiligo, had this to say "Sammy Sosa ... as a person with vitiligo I know that it doesn't move that fast! FAIL!" I choose not to speak ill of the dead but I'm sure we all know of someone else who was afflicted with this and couldn't "Beat It."


It's truly sad to see how this issue of skin color is still deeply affecting people. Truly disparaging.


Check out what a few of my colleagues have had to say about this issue. Fabulous Brown Girl talks about colorism and Sammy Sosa and Jada F. Smith talks about it on The Root and on NPR.


Despite all this negativity regarding the topic I have to commend D.C. rapper, Wale, for addressing it on a song entitled "Shades." This track is off of his new debut album Attention Deficit and you need to go pick it up now if you haven't already!


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad people are finally talking about it, but it's really sad that we're still having to. I'd like to believe that people's attitudes toward complexion are changing, but when I look at the Blacks who have the most longevity and get the most play in the mainstream, they are majority light skinned. And I don't think its by coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Josh, sorry its taken so long for me follow...now we're even for you editing my column that time..lol

    On the subject, I agree. I think its sad. I have to be careful because I find myself being judgmental of people who clearly have inferiority complexes (light skin and dark skin) I just cant imagine why anyone would want to be anything but black and I really dont understand how someone could think that a skin complexion can make them or anyone else more or less attractive. I have learned to chalk it up to ignorance and self hatred. Really, I feel sorry for them.

    I dont agree that most people in mainstream American culture are light skinned. I happen to believe that colorism (in America) is mostly from within and we traditionally have not been in positions of power to put each other in the mainstream. If you speak with most white Americans, they do not diffrenciate between me and someone who is two shades darker. They will still follow my daddy's light skin ass around a store, just like a his darker skinned counterparts. I think the issue of colorism in America is mainly WITHIN OUR OWN COMMUNITY..just my humble opinion.

    In other countries, I see it being more rampant with everyone. In Africa, South America, Central America it is more likely for non blacks to categorize based on skin color...I think.

    But its a major issue that stems from years of self hatred and I think its just like racism and classism. It stems from ignorance. Its just more hurtful because many times its from within.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not at all suprised at the phenomenom of skin bleaching taking place on the Continent. the European influence is every where and it is sad the lengths our people go through to indulge in overt self hate! Sammy Sosa is just a plan trip.

    I heard that he doesn't have vitilago at all because he permed his hair and wears green contacts now. So it is just him tryng to be white, no ifs, ands, or maybes.

    Sad.. A lot of this self hatred starts at home when they see lighter skin children treated with more favor than others. And there it begins.. My children will be raised to love their skin color and themselves NO MATTER WHAT!! No influence of the European standard of beauty will be forced upon my children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly true, but skin bleaching is not a new phenomenon for residents of our beloved motherland. As a youngster, I grew up hearing of the various products out there used to try and erase something more than just skin pigments. Fair and White, Easy Tone etc, these creams and oils were purchased and methodologically used to bleach and potentially erase feelings of self hatred that inequality instilled in so many people including my Aunts who live in Nigeria. On a continent where black skin is of the majority, I've always found it amazing that this kind of practice still takes place. It's often thought that people bleach their skin in order to assimilate or blend in with the majority population. Now it appears that globalization, more specifically in regards to the media, has found a way to infiltrate the minds of those living on the Continent. Thus imposing the ideology that success and superiority are synonymous with white skin. Would this practice still be taking place in our beloved Africa were the world not becoming more global in nature?? With all the positive benefits of globalization, it's scary to see some evils are now becoming transnational...

    ReplyDelete