Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dakar-Gorée Part 1: "I'm On A Boat"

Last week, Masake who is Madame Kane's daughter and a fellow HU alum, swam the Dakar-Gorée. It's an annual event in which swimmers take on the stretch of the Atlantic from mainland Dakar to Gorée Island. Participants leave from several locations in Dakar that are different distances from the island. The one that Masake chose put her swim at 5 thousand kilometers. The race takes a few hours so although we didn't see her depart we made sure we were there to welcome her at the finish.

Of course this was a perfect photo opportunity so I was snapping pictures all day. There is quite an abundance of photos so I have decided to break them into several slideshows chronologically. I will start with the ferry ride from Dakar to Gorée. As we boarded the jukebox in my head was playing the same song on repeat. I'm sure some of you guys can guess but for those who can't here it is. LOL! (This is not a serious song. The group makes music that is intended to be funny.)


Now that I have gotten that out of the way. Here are the pics of us heading over to Gorée. The crew included Madame Kane, a weekend visitor, Masake's sisters – Caamo and Rugi, her cousin – Yankohoba, SABS fellows – Charlotte, Camille, Gary and myself. Near the end of the slideshow you can see some of the swimmers arriving on the beaches of the island.


Check back soon for Dakar-Gorée Part 2!

3 comments:

  1. some very nice shots! i want to be thereeee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt262/Silq02/?action=view&current=DSC_0243.jpg

    This photo is amazing and I love the eye contact the boy is making. This photo reminded me of some photos I took of a little boy in Nigeria a few years ago.

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/349647132_d9602ebfaa_b.jpg

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/349646717_8cefc6ed19_b.jpg

    ReplyDelete