Monday, November 9, 2009

Senegalese Seminar #1: Clubbing

This whole journey in Senegal has been packed with new experiences and I have been learning new things in abundance. One of the new things has been the different club/party environment. Here is a little of what I have learned thus far.

1.) Akon Is King: Anything featuring their native son, Akon, will make any spot come ALIVE! From the first few seconds of one of his tracks the dance floor erupts. Not sure if this is going to make me a fan or if the frequency and frenzy will push me in the opposite direction. Only time will tell.



2.) No Wallflowers: Dancing is not an option, it's an imperative. Here one does not go out to a club to stand around and look important or to socialize, they go to dance. The last time I went out we stayed on the dance floor for nearly four hours straight. Yeah, they go hard!

3.) Parties Start After Midnight: Nothing gets going until after midnight. Actually most parties don't really get going until about 2 a.m.

4.) Anything Goes On The Playlist: When I say anything goes, I really mean anything. This past Saturday alone the DJ's playlists was all over the place, yet, it worked. He even followed up James Brown's "Papa Don't Take No Mess" with The Black Eyed Peas' "I Got A Feeling."



5.) No Drama Allowed: If you're out clubbing in the States you can expect to see a fight at least half of the time and if not full-out fisticuffs, you will at least see a heated argument. In Dakar, however, it seems that spirit of having a good time trumps all of that drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment