Monday, September 21, 2009

Korite '09

Since I arrived in Dakar I have been fasting for Ramadan. For those who don't know Ramadan is the holy month in Islam. One way in which followers of Islam observe this holy month is by fasting during daylight hours. That means no drinking or eating from dawn until dusk.

Although I am christian, I chose to observe Ramadan to get the full cultural experience of living here in Senegal where more than 90 percent of the population is muslim. It was difficult to adjust to everything such as the heat, walking places and teaching while fasting but, as you can see, I survived. Lol! In fact, it was easier than I expected it to be. Not simple by any measure, but not as strenuous as I thought it would be.

Yesterday the holy month ended with Eil al Fitr, which is celebrated here as Korite. My host, Amadou, lent my housemate Gary and I traditional bubus to wear for the holiday and took us with him when he made his morning rounds. We first went to his family home to have a breakfast of millet porridge, which is comprised of millet, yogurt, raisins, and pieces of banana and apple. We then went door-to-door throughout the neighborhood to greet the neighbors as is custom for the day.

Later we went to the Kane's house for lunch, the big meal of the day. There we met up with the rest of the SABS fellows to enjoy the holiday and, of course, EAT!

Take a look at the slideshow to get a better idea.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I absolutely love this. I want to go to Senegal too.

    Glad you're getting such a great experience! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Aww my brothers have a bubus similar to the one you're wearing. nice. That was cool of you to observe their fast with them. Wow that must have been tough.. but i'm glad you got that experience

    ReplyDelete