Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Catching Up ...

Not too much has gone on in the last few days, not enough for a full post anyway, so here's a collection of recent happenings.

News At Home: HU Protest

This past Friday a collection of hundreds of Howard University students, staff and faculty united in protest on the campus of my alma mater. They protested a wide range of issues including the lack of validation for university scholarship recipients, violation of union contracts, and the removal of Vice Provost of Student Affairs, Charles Gibbs. (See the whole list of demands here.)

As a proud alum, I must say, I was a bit disappointed that I could not participate and that there wasn't a significant catalyst while I was enrolled. On the other hand, I am very proud of the coverage by The Hilltop and hope that I had a hand in preparing those who run the newsroom now.

A friend and fellow Hilltop alum, Tina Burton, produced a video of the protest.


In Local News: First Day of School

Yesterday marked my first day teaching at SABS. For the first month the school day is cut in half for a few reasons including the rainy season and the SABS' start date is nearly a month before other Senegalese schools open their doors.

One thing I noticed immediately was the attire of the students. Normally they wear uniforms but for the first few days they are permitted to wear what they choose. It was evident that American hip-hop culture has infiltrated the West African coast. The kids were adorned with western-influenced fashions from Yankees fitted caps atop their heads and designer specs to inordinate Air Yeezys and high heels on their feet. From first glance, school in Dakar seemed no different than an inner-city school Stateside.

That all changed in the classroom. The level of respect for instructors, passion for knowledge, and reverence for education puts American pupils to shame. These young people understand the eminence of education and viewed their opportunity at SABS as a privilege and not an obligation. I believe the difference in attitude is a major contributor to Americans falling so far behind ... and opposition to pro-education messages is a factor as well.


Unfortunately, school is cancelled until Friday due to heavy rains. Check back later in the week to see more about how the rains affect life here in Dakar.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm were you nervous your first day in the classroom? Back in class but serving a different role? I like how the focus of this post is education. It motivates me since right now the return back to the classroom and resuming my spot as a scholar is at the forefront of my mind while I prepare to take the GMAT. The protest at Howard, one word, BANANAS! I definitely wish i could've been there. I, like so many others, have financial aid/A building horror stories so i was very proud to see the next generation at Howard taking a stand. Man, Its crazy how far we have come here in the united states, yet how much further we still have left to go. Yes we've intergrated the schools but there's still a lot of un addressed issues in our school systems such as misappropriation of funds across city and county lines that lead to one child on the wrong side not being afforded the same quality of education as his brother across the street. Also, Its a sad day when the most pressing issue of concern and debate for a parent is whether or not the nation's President should be allowed to encourage their child to stay in school as a means to accomplish and live out the American dream. Well never in America would I have dreamt these current events would be taking place on my tv set, but they are. If such an absurd dream can come to pass, i know that my vision on life is limited but i take comfort in knowing I'd rather be living His dream because it's greater than anything I could have possibly dreamt for myself...

    ReplyDelete