Saturday, September 19, 2009

Heal The World

Michael Jackson's universal appeal has been mentioned my entire life (someone once told me I was a part of the Thriller generation, lol) but from my American viewpoint the extent of his appeal had not truly been clear to me. That is until now.

On Thursday I was assisting in a seventh grade English as a second language class and at the end of the hour the teacher asked if any of the students knew any songs in English. Mind you, this was an ESL class so these children speak very little English. A modest girl, who had been silent most of the class period, rose to her feet and bashfully made her way to the front of the room. Then these demure words barely escaped her lips, "There's a place in your heart, and I know that it is love ..."




I am almost ashamed to say that at this point I did not recognize the song. Sure it was familiar but I couldn't recall the opening line. In fact, I googled the words to do this post. Yet, here she was, a francophone who wasn't even alive when the song was released, reciting MJ's lyrics like the tune was still topping the pops.

However, that wasn't the most amazing part. As the girl continued to make her way through the first verse other voices began to join in. By the time she reached the chorus the entire class was singing along – word for word, note for note. I was floored. I sincerely doubt an American class of middle schoolers are capable of that. His reach is truly phenomenal.

Rest in peace to the King of Pop; he will truly be missed.

1 comment:

  1. MJ was big in Africa. My father had his poster on his wall growing up. Yes, his span was truly global...

    ReplyDelete