Monday, August 31, 2009

T.I.A. ...


... means this is Africa!
Day #4 has begun and it's finally starting to kick in that I am actually in Africa. I have experienced a lot within the last few days – where to begin? Since I arrived in Dakar I, along with the rest of the SABS fellows, have been staying with the SABS director, Madame Kane, and her family. They have truly been great hosts in welcoming us and preparing us for the upcoming year. They have introduced us to a lot of Senegalese and general African culture that has shaped my time here thus far.
One aspect has been the language. It's amazing to see how many people here can switch so effortlessly among Enlgish, French, and Wolof within the same conversation. In fact yesterday we had some young visitors, toddlers, who went back and forth between English and French with incredible ease. In America children with these skills may be seen as prodigies but here it is not uncommon. It is a bit intimidating but I am sure that I will pick up the lan
guage soon enough and by the time I leave I will have a vital skill I can carry with me the rest of my life. The other day Monsieur Kane told a joke that reminds me of this topic.
What do you call a person who speaks three languages? A polyglot.
What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Bilingual.
What do you call a person who speaks one language? ... wait for it ... wait for it ...
An American!
Another important aspect has been the food! Senegal is an Islamic country which means that many of the people fast during daylight hours for Ramadan. In my quest to get the full cultural experience I, too, have decided to fast for Ramadan. Surprisingly, it has not been that difficult to give up food and water during the day. Of course there are times when I get hungry and thirsty but with a little patience the urges pass and I soon forget about them. But when we do eat it has been great! There's nothing better than breaking the fast with such fantastic food.

This image is similar to a dish we had last night for dinner. The dinners have consisted of fish or chicken with vegetables all over rice served in a big communal bowl that everyone eats from. The food has been delicious and it also provides an opportunity for everyone to gather together to talk about the events of the day, politics, or just to share whatever is on ones' mind.
Lastly, I think K'naan said it best in his song T.I.A. (This Is Africa) "you don't know how hot it gets here!" It is HOT! Now I'm not saying that it's an unbearable hades here but this heat is definitely something else. Here in Senegal we are currently in the time of year called the rainy season which is the hottest period. Coupled with fasting the heat can be quite an issue at times. I have been fortunate because the Kane's have air conditioning and ceiling fans in every room. Without those luxuries it is a different story entirely. Sunday the power went out for most of the day and the generator was not working so it was not long before the sweltering heat reminded me that "This is Africa!" Lol!
All in all, I am thoroughly enjoying my time here and I eagerly look forward to what tomorrow will bring. Thanks for stopping by to share this experience with me and I hope that you continue to walk this journey with me. (Please leave comments or send questions to me at JoshThomas2@gmail.com or http://twitter.com/Ides9 )

5 comments:

  1. In your next entry, can you describe the city? Like, for instance, a short walk and what you see and how it makes you feel safe, insecure, hopeful, or SOMETHING! I wanna feel like I'm there, too! Ha!

    I hear that the music is easy to get into. Nigerian music was for me when I was at HU junior year even when I only had two Nigerian roommates (in a lot of cases, those types of living situations at HU don't work out well lol), but West African music is addictive almost.

    So, that's it, then? A shortage of languages and food for a month? Good. I'm there.

    - Burton

    ReplyDelete
  2. im glad your enjoying yourself and you made it there safely. love u joshy poo! ill be reading!



    britt

    ReplyDelete
  3. sadly - compared to other countries, americans look pretty pathetic in regards to how worldly we are with our languages! sounds like you're already having amazing adventures. looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to read how you're off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother Josh,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you on your journey, enjoy the experience of a life time. There is nothing like living within a different culture and learning about other folk. I have fond memories and I don't know if I told you that Aunt Jeanie met in Guatemala City Central America.
    Blessings and Peace Uncle Fred & Aunt Jeanie

    ReplyDelete